- To provide a description of the physiology, patho-physiology, and kinetics of injury
- To provide an understanding of the need for a rapid assessment of the trauma patient
- To advance the participant's level of knowledge in regard to examination and diagnostic skills
- To advance the participant's level of competence in regard to specific pre-hospital trauma intervention skills
- To provide an overview and establish a management method for the pre-hospital care of the multi-system trauma patient
- HK$1,400.00 per head for members of the public.
- Personnel of Hong Kong St. John Ambulance may apply for sponsorship through their command or officer-in-charge. HK$400 per student will be charged per head. (The rest of the fee will be sponsored by Hong Kong St. John Ambulance).
- Personnel of Hong Kong St. John Ambulance may apply for sponsorship by Hong Kong St. John Ambulance through their command or officer-in-charge (HK$400 per student) if they apply to re-take the course before the certificates expire.
- Once accepted onto a course, the tution fees are non-refundable. Student may reserve his/her seat until next month, should they notify the Association 1 month prior to course commencement in written.
- No surcharge for remedial test.
The PHTLS Provider Course is an intensive two-day course.
- Philosophy of PHTLS
- Injury prevention
- Principles, Preferences, Critical thinking
- Physiology of Life and Death
- Kinematics of Trauma
- Scene assessment
- Patient assessment
- Airway and Ventilation
- Head Trauma
- Spinal Trauma
- Thoracic Trauma
- Abdominal Trauma
- Musculoskeletal Trauma
- Burn Injuries
- Pediatric Trauma
- Geriatric Trauma
- Golden Principles of PHTLS
- Baseline Determination
- Patient Assessment
- Airway Management
- Rapid Extrication
- Spinal Immobilisation
- Paediatric Assessment / Immobilisation
- Prehospital Trauma Life Support, 8th edition
- Supplementary Handouts, Hong Kong St. John Ambulance Association
This is a two-day course consisting 16-hour of training. The course is developed by NAEMT and ACS-COT, USA and conducted by Hong Kong St. John Ambulance Association
Medium of Instruction
- A final written examination (passing score 76% or above) and practical test, in which students are requested to manage a scenario as a team leader.
- If students failed in the practical test, a remedial test will be held on the same day (for students who passed the written test).
- Students will be offered a remedial written test, if he/she has passed the practical test but failed in the written examination, within 3-month.
- A pre-test will be held on the first day of the course. Written examination and practical tests will be held in the afternoon of the second day. Students are required to study the Course Manual before attending the course.
- Candidates who have successfully completed both written and practical tests will be awarded the PHTLS certificates issued by NAEMT and the certificate is valid for 4 years. Attendance certificate will also be issued by Hong Kong St. John Ambulance and American College of Surgeons, Hong Kong Chapter.
- Students who have failed to achieve the requirements will receive an attendance certificate issued by Hong Kong St. John Ambulance and American College of Surgeons, Hong Kong Chapter.
Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) Course
- Medical staff who participated PHTLS Course can be awarded with CME points
- Nursing and healthcare related staff who completed PHTLS Course can be awarded with 9 CNE points
No class will be held upon black of rainstorm, typhoon signal No. 8 or above. If the Signal is lowered (before 7a.m.), classes will meet as usual.
- For individual applicants, please check Course Timetable and complete Individual Application Form (AFV)
- For Association Member, please check Course Timetable and complete Association Member Application Form (AFV)
- For Brigade Member, please check Course Timetable and complete Brigade Member Application Form (AFV)